My clients often ask me how to meditate. My quick answer is, "Just begin!" Find a book, an ipod app, or a quiet spot beneath a tree and get quiet. As simple as that sounds, it can be scary. We are creatures of habit and stimulation. We want rules, steps, and ways of measuring success. We have a hard time coming to stillness. Reiki can help! Here is a simple meditation that you can add to, or subtract from whether you have 5 minutes or an hour.
A Daily Reiki Meditation
1. Open you mouth slightly and breathe through your mouth, following the breath. Relax your hands. Loosen the jaw. Sit down so that your feet or buttocks are in firm contact with the ground, and relax.
2. Listen to the flow of your breath. Don't control it, simply follow the sound with your ears. Close your eyes and look within, trying to sense the very center of your mind. From that point, drop all of your awareness, in a straight line, down into your heart.
3. Allow your breath to follow your awareness down into your heart. As you breathe, fill your heart, stomach, and lungs with the light of Reiki (if you are not attuned, you can easily focus on the light and vibration of love, asking for this healing to occur with love for the highest good of all).
4. Breathe in this way, focused on the light and the feel of your breath moving in and out, until your thoughts have slowed and you feel a sense of calm.
5. Place hands on your heart chakra and transmit healing Reiki into the heart for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not skimp on time. Relax. Slow down. Thoughts, memories, or ideas may come up as your do this. Allow them to rise, see them in your mind's eye, and let go of them, bringing your attention back to the present feeling of your hands sending Reiki.
6. When ready, drop the hands to an open position, palms up and resting on the knees. Reflect on your past 24 hours. Ask just one of the following questions. If you have more time, you can add extra questions:
* Where could I have brought more love and acceptance into my interactions?
* Where could I have honored my needs better?
* What did I do fantastically?
* What do I appreciate about the events as they unfolded?
It may help to share your realizations out loud, as the process of speaking your truth may reveal new insights. Trust your intuition in order to get to the root of your feelings.
7. When complete, place hands on the heart, sending Reiki in honor of the wisdom that has surfaced. With your inner vision, see yourself applying this wisdom in the future. Envision your day(s) to come, and how your interactions are positively affected by your realizations.
8. Return to following the breath, listening as you breath in and out, and asking your mind to slow. Allow the mind to return to a calm place, with your heart consciousness and mind both in balance.
9. If you are working with an affirmation, use it to finish. This could be as simple as: I am safe, healthy, and well. It could be a reading of the Usui poem, or a simple affirmation of love: I am in perfect harmony with the world around me. So be it (or Blessings, or Amen).
Remember that I am only a phone call away, and glad to help if you have questions about meditation. Many blessings! ~Dailey
© 2011 Dailey Little. You are welcome to reproduce this article provided you do so in its entirety, including the copyright and this blurb: "Dailey Little is a Reiki Master and active practitioner. She teaches Reiki & other fun stuff through her private practice in Santa Rosa, CA. Join her joyful community for ReikiShares, Free Clinics, and eco-activism by signing up at her website, www.SantaRosaReiki.com"